Wednesday, 20 December 2017

Pet safety at Christmas!

      Here are some hazards to be mindful of as the festive season gets into full swing.

The following guide shows you which foods to avoid ( the naughty list) & suitable treats (the nice list).  
   (click on image to enlarge on mobile devices)


    Remember that cats can also be attracted to the foods listed above and as with dogs, are dangerous if eaten.

   Other hazards to look out for include;

    Batteries;

     Ingestion of batteries is more common at this time of year. If the battery is chewed and pierced it can cause chemical burns and heavy metal poisoning. If they are swallowed whole it is possible they will cause an obstruction. All batteries are potentially toxic so if you suspect your dog or cat has chewed or swallowed a battery - please call us.

   Bottle corks, corn on the cob, cocktail sticks, cracker toys, ribbon and tinsel can be dangerous if swallowed. Ensure that they are tidied away or kept out of reach of pets.



             
  

 Our Christmas song is a reminder of the hazards
  at  Christmas time
 ( to the tune of walking in a winter wonderland)
             
   December's here, the decs are glistening.
   The vet's phone rings, we are listening.....
   chewed up fairy lights, chocolates found,
   steal some bites.
Anxious pets? A New Year's party's planned.

The tree sways, glass baubles disturbed,
wanting to play, meows are heard.
Then something goes wrong, Felix falls down headlong
meanwhile Fluffy's eating purple tinsel strands!

In the kitchen,
Christmas cake & gammon ham.
A stretched out paw to reach the turkey crown.
Boiling water carried in a saucepan.
Be sure to keep the kitchen out of bounds!


 So as you begin to tire,
 watching TV by the fire.
    Remember your pets,
 safe and sound they must be kept.
    Our Christmas message we do hope you understand! 
   
     Remember;

     Christmas time often means a busy home, with friends and family coming together in seasonal spirit. Remember that new faces and more noise can be scary for your pet, so it’s a good idea to provide them with a safe room so they can escape and be put at ease if it all becomes too much. Be mindful of the front door opening with guests arriving and leaving. Make sure that dogs can't run out!  It’s also important to maintain your pet’s normal routines, especially with feeding and exercise, to avoid them becoming too unsettled.
  
                                                          

     In an emergency

    If you think that your pet may have eaten something that they shouldn't then swift action is necessary. 

Follow these four simple steps:

   Step 1 - Prevent your pet from eating any more.
   Step 2 - Phone your vet immediately!
   Step 3 -Stay calm and follow your vet's instructions.
   Step 4 -Collect the relevant wrapping and packaging.

     Make a note of our phone number and call us immediately -

01895 633600
                                                                                                     



      DISCLAIMER: 

      The contents of the Arden House Animal Hospital website are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your Veterinary Surgeon with any questions you may have regarding your animal’s medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment